– The US trade war with China overshadows the event, amid growing concerns over global growth. French President Emmanuel Macron, the host, says he wants to convince the attendees such tensions are bad for all sides.
– Brexit is on the minds of Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel as they meet British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is determined to exit the EU by the end of October.
– The raging fires in the Amazon have sparked alarm, with Macron calling for the summit to agree on action on the issue.
– The Iran nuclear deal and rising tensions between the US and UK concern the EU, which is doing its best to defuse the situation and save the treaty.
– North Korea’s missile launches and resistance to denuclearisation
– The ongoing conflicts in Libya and Syria
– France wants US-based social media platforms including Facebook and Snapchat to sign a pledge to fight online hate speech.
– France wants agreement on a global tax rate for the income tech giants earn outside their country of origin.
– Trump has threatened to impose tariffs on French wines in response to a tax which targets the activities of tech giants Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon.
– The digital economy, including crypto-currencies.
– The US supports Russia being readmitted to the G7 (which was formerly the G8) but the EU is against it.